Thursday, February 12, 2009

computer fail/octuplet fail/economy fail

Earlier this week, I got an itch to overclock my NVidia 8500GT video card (with baby on the way there's little expendable cash for a new video card). To do so, I'd have to buy another case fan because when you overclock computer components, they produce much more heat. Most third party vid cards (or gpus) already have fans on them, but they aren't designed for overclocking. I went to my local Frys and purchased this:


Initially, I though it would be perfect because it would force air directly onto the gpu. Unfortunately, the fan pointed directly at the video card fan creating a cyclone of hot air - the exact opposite of what I wanted. In the process, I also noticed that my power supply was a little low for the 8500. Another trip to Fry's for a new power supply and a case fan. And that's where everything headed south.

Normally, I would build my own PCs from scratch, but last year I found a great deal on an HP a6110n that was cheaper than it would cost me to build a comparable system. The downside of pre-builts is that the cases are usually way too small. In the process of trying to disconnect the power supply from the hard drive, I broke some plastic off of the casing making it impossible to reconnect the cables.


Granted, it was completely my fault because I tried to perform this maneuver without pulling the hard drive out. I went to the Tech Stop here at Google and they didn't give me much hope. We tried to put the drive in an external enclosure and that didn't work either. I took it to Central Computers in Santa Clara and they told my I was hosed.

Luckily, there wasn't a whole lot of stuff on that drive as I primarily use that computer for gaming, so I just decided to buy a new drive. Central Computers (who might become my favorite computer store) had a Western Digital Terrabyte drive for 99 bucks!!! Sold!!! Now I get the joy of putting my machine back together and reinstalling everything. Fun!!!


There has been a lot in the news lately about Nadya Suleman, she's the gal who, after already having 6 kids, decided to have the remaining 8 embryos implanted. Where do I even start? Why would anyone (aside from Mormons, Evangelicals, the Amish) want that many children? Was she some sort of uber fan of The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie? Now, it's coming out that she doesn't currently work, thinks that a career in Social Work will pay her enough to raise her spawn, and that her mom currently raises her previous 6 while she goes to school. This is just plain INSANITY!!! Further, she's already on welfare and is probably expecting the publicity to raise enough money to help raise her kids. What in the hell were the doctors thinking? How ethical is it to implant embryos into someone who is financially incapable of raising children? This is what pisses me off about our welfare system. Granted, there are plenty of folks out there that absolutely need governmental assistance, but for every one of them there are three people totally abusing the system. And, as usual, John Q taxpayer gets stuck with the bill.


Speaking of John Q taxpayer footing the bill, Time Magazine put out The 25 People to Blame for the Financial Crisis. It's a pretty balanced piece, but it's pretty clear that the primary cause (as if we needed an explanation) was too much greed in the corporate sector. And the republicans still want more corporate tax cuts. If anything, we should RAISE corporate taxes. When will this country learn?

Pleasant Dreams.

No comments: