Sunday, February 08, 2009

god i LOVE the interwebs/slammin'

I have to make an announcement. I LOVE YOUTUBE. This feeling of gratification blossoms not from the fact that I work at Google (who owns YouTube), but it stems from the fact that it reflects the true voice of the people. I could spend hours upon hours watching European Durex commercials, a comic series involving a group of online "friends" and their addiction to WoW, music videos from hundreds of now defunct bands, SuperBowl commercials; the list goes on and on.

Saturday, after being rudely awakened by Aki, I decided to take a leisurely stroll around the YouTube neighborhood. I discovered a few new entries from slam poet Mike McGee. You see, Mike used to work for me at Kinko's back in the day and although I haven't gotten the chance to see him in MANY years, I still try to keep up with what he's doing. A couple of years back he won the National Slam Poetry championship. This feat is made even more significant considering Mike was born with Spina Bifida and shouldn't have lived to see beyond childhood. He has taken this "handicap" and turned himself into a powerhouse poet. Here is a sampling of his work:



While watching this video, I noticed in the "Related Videos" area a group piece by Buddy Wakefield featuring Mike and a young lady named Sarah Kay whom I'd never heard before.



Sarah's hauntingly beautiful voice intrigued me further so I decided to check out some of her vids. It was surprising that someone with such a calm and quiet disposition could put forth such passion. She's almost the anti-slam slam poet.



In a nutshell, I was exposed to two more incredible poets as result of checking in on an old friend. As much as technology can be used for evil purposes, so too can it be used for good.

Pleasant Dreams.

No comments: